Sunday, May 31, 2009

Cinna-spin Cookies

Last Thanksgiving, I made chocolate turkey cupcakes. They were just about the cutest things ever, and they were definitely pretty tasty. However, much to my dismay, no one at my Thanksgiving family party actually ate them. My middle school aged cousin ate a couple, I ate a couple, someone else ate half of one, and that was about it.

When I asked my mom why no one ate them, she replied, "Well, adults don't really like cupcakes." As an almost 20 year old, I don't exactly consider myself a little kid anymore. I know I'm not a "grown-up" by any means, but I'd like to think my food tastes aren't going to change drastically in the next 10 to 20 years. I hope I'll still enjoy a cupcake now and then, but I guess you never know.

My dessert tastes aside, at our next holiday party, Christmas, I was determined to make something my relatives would actually eat. In case they were worried about all the calories in such a big cupcake, I chose something small: cookies. And in case they didn't like the cupcakes' cutsey demeanor, I chose something relatively simple: cinna-spin cookies.


Cinna-spin Cookies from Betty Crocker

Ingredients

1 pouch (1 1b 1.5 oz.) sugar cookie mix
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp vanilla

Directions

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In large bowl, mix cookie mix and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir in butter and egg until soft dough forms.

2. On a piece of waxed paper, shape 1 tablespoon into a line about 5 inches long. Using floured fingers, shape 1 tablespoon of dough into a rope 5 inches long. Press one side of dough rope into cinnamon.

3. On ungreased cookie sheet, coil dough rope tightly, cinnamon side facing center, into cinnamon-roll shape. Press end of roll into rope to seal. Repeat with remaining dough. Place cookies 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.

4. Bake 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.

5. In small bowl, mix glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment