Thursday, July 2, 2009

European Rice Krispie Treats



I'm a vanilla person. I think it's because vanilla flavored things are generally sweeter than their chocolate counterparts. I loove anything really, really sugary and sweet. However, once in awhile, I get a craving for chocolate. And when that craving can be satisfied by something chocolately AND overly sweet, now that is the perfect scenario. Fortunately, that is exactly what happened with the rice krispie treats I made out of my European chocolate cookbook, Desserts au chocolat. They're totally different from your typical marshmallowy treats and I even think they're better tasting.


The recipe was pretty simple, no baking required...perfect for a hot summer night. I changed the recipe a little bit, just to adapt my lack of a scale,my family's cereal preferences (my brother said he would only eat the leftover Rice Krispies if I bought chocolate flavored ones), and my chocolate preferences (milk instead of dark) and they turned out really well the way I made them.


If you want something healthy, these probably aren't for you. However, if you're not crazy health conscious with your desserts, I definitely recommend these yummy Rice Krispie treats.


Bonus: You don't have to translate the recipe from French like I did, as a non-French speaker :)


Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats, adapted from Rochers de riz souffle au chocolat from Desserts au chocolat by Les Simplissimes


White Chocolate Layer:

1/2 stick butter

1 tbsp molasses

150 g white chocolate

2 cups chocolate Rice Krispies

Milk Chocolate Layer:

1/2 stick butter

2 tbsp molasses

125 g milk chocolate

3 cups chocolate Rice Krispies


1. Butter an 8 inch square pan or line the pan with wax paper (I sprayed the wax paper with Pam).


2. Melt the butter, molasses, and chocolate for the white chocolate layer in a saucepan or the microwave. Then mix thoroughly. You have to wait for the chocolate to cool for the ingredients to really mix well together. It should look pretty even (doesn't have to be perfect though) when you are done mixing.





3. Mix the 2 cups Rice Krispies with the white chocolate mixture until the cereal is fully covered.




4. Spoon the mixture into the pan, making it as even as possible.


5. Melt and mix the butter, molasses, and chocolate for the milk chocolate layer. Again, you will need to wait a bit for the chocolate to cool for it to fully mix.


6. Then add this mixture to 3 cups Rice Krispies and layer evenly on top of the white chocolate layer.




7. Let harden in the refrigerator for at least an hour, or until fully hardened.






Note: Sorry for the quality of the pictures. My Mac computer is having some issues and I don't really know how to crop photos on the computer I'm using. I also don't want to upload my photos to this computer so I'm just uploading them to the Blogger through my memory card reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment