Saturday, July 25, 2009

Strawberry Jam Sponge Cake

Finding a dessert that is plain and relatively healthy is generally not an easy endeavor. However, when I bake at home, it is often a must if anyone but me is actually going to eat the dessert. So I decided to be magnanimous and actually make something other people will eat. I'm someone who loves really sweet, decadent desserts, but I chose this plain sponge cake because I figured my dad would eat it. In the end, I was right because it was gone within 24 hours with the two of us eating it. While it wasn't the most fabulous dessert I've ever had, it was a good recipe for a plain dessert. Also, I had huge slices because I figure its lack of frosting was saving me a lot of calories :)



Strawberry Jam Sponge Cake, very slightly adapted from Sponge Layer Cake from I Love Sugar by Love Food

3/4 unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
Scant 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
Pinch of salt
4 tbsp strawberry jelly
1 tbsp confectioners' sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 2 9-inch round layer cake pans.

2. Use an electric mixer to combine the sugar and the butter until pale and light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat after you add each one.

3. Mix the flour and salt in a separate bowl and slowly add the butter/sugar mixture with a metal spoon or spatula.

4. Divide the mixture between the two pans and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until well risen and golden brown. It also should be shrinking from the sides of the pan a bit when it's done.

5. Take out of the oven and let stand for 1 minute. Then use a butter knife to loosen the cakes around the edges. Take out of pans (be careful here...my bottom layer stuck to the bottom a little and got a crack in it!).

6. Once cool, sandwich together with the jelly and sprinkle the top with confectioners' sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment